Wednesday, February 22, 2012

EPIC BISCUIT FAILURE!!!

Do you remember what your favorite supper was when you were little?  I used to love when my mom would make breakfast for supper.  I love bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits, pancakes, etc. 

Cracker Barrell breakfast via Google Images

My kids also love breakfast for supper.  Usually we have sausage, gravy, biscuits, eggs, hash browns and sometimes bacon too.  Here's the thing though, I always make canned biscuits.  I love me some Grands! 

So, today when I picked up the kids from school, I got the same question I get EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.  "What's for supper, mom?"  When I said we were having breakfast, there were actual cheers from the kids.  They love breakast as much as I do.  Only problem was, I was out of canned biscuits.  Why?  Because Kroger has them on sale and I didn't want to buy them for twice the price at Wal-Mart, but I never made it to Kroger.  So, I decided I would, once again, TRY to make homemade biscuits. 


Don't those look yummy?  I got the recipe here.  The photo is from the same sight.  The problem is, I do not have a good biscuit making track record.  They usually turn out heavy and dry.  I have tried dozens of recipes and tons of tips.  Use cold butter.  Don't over mix.  Brush the tops with beaten milk and egg mixture.  UGH!  Wanna see my biscuits?

Looks like a hokey puck!

EPIC FAILURE!  They were AWFUL!  It's like they didn't rise, at all.  They were dry and crumbly.  I have never claimed to be an awesome chef, but I do okay.  I can follow a recipe, usually.  Why can I not make biscuits?  What in the world am I doing wrong?  My baking powder is still in date but there isn't much left in the Clabber Girl tin.  Maybe it's lost it's lift?  I have the same problem with my boobs.   Too bad ya can't slap a bra on the baking powder can. 

So, does anybody have a fail proof biscuit recipe, other than a can of Grands?  Any idea what I am doing wrong?  I'm looking for light fluffy biscuits, not crumbly and dry biscuits.  ICK!  HELP!!!



Signature

8 comments:

  1. Girl...I feel your pain! I, too, have tried to perfect my biscuit making abilities over the years and they turn out hard and flat every single time! I can't figure it out, either! If you come up with just the right recipe, please don't hesitate to pass it along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pioneer Baking Mix ... I used to use Bisquick but Pioneer is oh so much bettah ! We have breakfast for supper once a week too. Usually a fritata though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know! I have never tried to make biscuits!

    If it makes you feel any better, I had a new recipe fail last night.

    I tried a crock pot chicken fajita recipe I found on Pinterest. It was no bueno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may be overkneading. I handle my biscuit dough very lightly and never roll it out. I pat my dough out. You can do it, girl! I'll send you my recipe. I got it in 8th grade home ec, and I've used it a looooong time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you hate it when you go to the trouble to make something nice for dinner and it is a fail? I think Sweet Posy has a good point that you might be overkneading the dough. I remember my grandmother using just her hand to mix it until it just came together. She did roll the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! I can totally relate, I'm horrible with breads of any kind except for banana or zucchini bread types.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I laughed out loud at the bra-on-the-baking powder can line...oh my goodness...that's too funny. :) I'm so sorry about your biscuit dilemma! I have the same issue with chocolate chip cookies...mine are so horrible. What is my problem? I can bake everything else wonderfully...but my chocolate chip cookies stink.

    I wanted to let you know that I'm hosting a month-long Giveaway Jubilee beginning March 1st. I know you've hosted giveaways before and thought you might be interested. You can participate as a giver, a (hopefully) winner, or both! Just click on the button at the top right of my sidebar that says "Giveaway Jubilee" for more info.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, I'm sorry, Tanya. It's just so nice to laugh with a kindred soul. The hockey puck just did me in. It looks just like my biscuits.

    I just gave up and learned to make popovers instead.

    Bless your heart. Just bless. Your. Heart. Giggle.

    ReplyDelete