Friday, February 18, 2011

SPAGHETTI WITH FRIED EGGS, Sounds Gross, Right?

A few weeks ago, Hubby and I were watching the Today Show, when a new recipe caught Hubby's eye.  Today contributor, Mark Bittman, was showcasing his three favorite simple recipes.  Hubby was fixated on the Spaghetti with Fried Eggs.  I love fried eggs, but fried eggs and spaghetti sounded a little revolting to me.  When the show came back from commercial, Matt, Ann and Natalie were sitting on the couch with this big bowl of pasta and raving about how good it was.  That was all Hubby needed to hear.  Later than night, Hubby watched the clip again (YAY for my DVR) and  followed along in our kitchen.  I must admit that I was apprehensive, but considering I didn't have to cook that night, I figured it was worth a try.  I was very pleasantly surprised. 

Here's the clip of Mark Bittman




And here's the recipe:

 

Spaghetti with Fried Eggs


Ingredients:

Salt

1/2 pound thin spaghetti

6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or lard  (Lard?  EWW!  We used olive oil)

2 large cloves garlic, lightly smashed and peeled

4 eggs

Freshly ground black pepper

Freshly grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese, optional (is cheese ever really optional?)

Preparation:

1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Start the sauce in the next step, and start cooking the pasta when the water boils.



2. Combine garlic and 4 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the garlic, pressing it into the oil occasionally to release its flavor; it should barely color on both sides. Remove the garlic, and add the remaining oil.



3. Fry the eggs gently in the oil, until the whites are just about set and the yolks still quite runny. Drain the pasta, and toss with the eggs and oil, breaking up the whites as you do. (The eggs will finish cooking in the heat of the pasta.) Season to taste, and serve immediately, with cheese if you like.



Serving Size

Time: 20 minutes. Yield: 2 or 3 servings.

This is a picture of how ours turned out the other night.  We added shrimp this time, which was very good.


As usual, please pretend that this is a really good picture.  I envy those of you with good cameras and lighting.  It actually tastes a lot better than it looks.  Really, it does.  Cross my heart. 

** I forgot to mention that we used whole wheat pasta.  I'm pretending that using whole wheat pasta will take away from the fact that I probably used more cheese than the chef intended.  After all, like the finger sucking guy on the Super Bowl Dorito commercial says, "MMMMM Cheese!"

Have a great Friday!





Signature

10 comments:

  1. Hi there, just recently stumbled upon your blog. I think this meal looks great, it reminds me to egg in fried rice or noodles in chinese food which I love!

    Have a great weekend!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound questionable, but your recipes are always so good that I know it must be yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you can't judge a book by it's cover, and I trust you that it tasted good, but my first reaction is the same as yours was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it sounds good. I would want to add some peas and onions so it would be like fried rice, with pasta instead if rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting... I may just have to try that. I love about anything with cheese! But maybe they can come up with a better name for it :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. VERY interesting!
    It sounds too interesting NOT to try it!
    I love eggs and I love w.w. spaghetti-so putting them together doesn't sound too bad.
    I have ALL those ingredients in my pantry/fridge, actually!!
    Guess what's for supper tomorrow!
    I'll let you know how it was!
    Thanks for the interesting post!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm. I think I can see where this would be good. It's interesting. It almost has an Asian flair to it. You know how you out scrambled eggs in some fried rice/lo mein recipes. I think I'll try it....add a few of my own ingredients!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm cheese! Did you refer to that commercial just for me? I'm going to pretend that you did...even if you didn't!

    And cheese really NEVER is optional!

    It sounds interesting....I'm always game to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this would be good because I frequently make Pasta Carbonara (garlic, white wine, bacon, eggs, cheese) and if that's good, this version would be good, too. You were adventurous to try this recipe because it does sound wierd to combine fried eggs and pasta!

    ReplyDelete