Tuesday, April 6, 2010

COPYKAT COZYMEL'S GUACAMOLE

If I had to pick a favorite food, other than chocolate, it would most likely be something Mexican.  I LOVE tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, burritos, refried beans, and don't even get me started on white cheese dip because I'm pretty sure it could be a food group all by itself.  It's the most wonderful thing EVER!  Close second?  Good guacamole.  I LOVE guacamole.  Frankly, I used to think it was gross.  My mom and dad ate it when I was little and I just didn't get it, but then again, I didn't like anything green back then.  I worked at a Mexican restaurant in college and fell in love with guacamole!!!

One of my favorite places to eat Mexican food is Cozymel's - and not just because of the wall of frozen drink machines behind the bar.  They have AWESOME "Table Side Guacamole".  After ordering it at LEAST once a month for several years, I finally paid attention to what the ingredients consisted of and I've been making it at home ever since. 



This is what you'll need: 

1 bunch of cilantro
5-6 avacados
tomato
onion (optional)
2-3 serrano peppers
1-3 limes
1 orange

First, cut open your avacados.  Slice into the avacado from long end to long end - when you hit the pit, rotate the avacado to the other side while cutting with the knife.  Then just pull apart. 



The inside should be green.  This is a good avacado. 


BEAUTIFUL!

This is NOT a good avacado. 


EEEEWWWW!  Throw it out!  BLEECH!

Now, take your good avacado and remove the pit and spoon the beautiful green out of the skin and into a shallow glass or plastic dish. 

Chop your tomato (I use about a half), your onion (again, about half if you use it at all), 1 clove garlic, peppers (after taking out seeds) and chop your cliantro.  **I like to strip the leaves and only use them, although I have seen people use the stems as well.**


My beloved cilantro.  It makes everything taste clean and yummy!!! I LOOOOVE CILANTRO!!! 

Now, throw it all in the dish with the avacado and mash it up with a fork to the consistency you like.  Now you need to add your lime and orange juice.  **To get more juice out of your citrus fruit, first microwave it for 20-30 seconds and then roll it back and forth on the countertop under your palm for about 20 seconds before cutting.**  I usually add about two limes and half an orange, but add until it tastes right to you.  Add salt and pepper to taste, stir it all up good and CHOW DOWN! 



YUUUUUMMMMMM!  Remember, avacados are good fat!!

I'm linking up to Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam and Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks so yummy! I don't think I have ever seen it with the OJ, I am going to try that! Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so love that there is good fat! Looks yummy--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum...guacamole! I used to hate it too and avocados in general. We had a huge tree that dropped avocados all over the backyard and I never ate one...we moved and mow I love avocados and guacamole...oh the luck! Your recipes sounds yummy. I miss Cozymels! (there is not one where we live).

    Your blog is lovely. I am a new follower.
    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, I love to make guac! I love your recipe... I might have to switch mine up a bit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I could live on guacamole! Your recipe looks really delicious. I've never added oj.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby and I love Mexican food too and eat it just about every Fri. night. But, guacamole - no thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dangit. It's 11pm, and now I want some Mexican food. :s Great recipe. :) Thanks for visiting my blog while I was away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andy loves guac. I will definitely try to surprise him with this :) I have been trying to follow your blog for months and for some reason JUST got it to work. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a great guacamole recipe! I love Mexican food too. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't made guacamole in ages, this looks yummy
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love guacamole at our house. Actually, I think my 35 month old daughter could eat her weight in the stuff! So glad you found us at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Thanks for linking up and I hope you join us again.

    ReplyDelete