Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Things That Make Me Smile

My favorite season is fall, but there are certain things I love about every season.  As school winds down and our schedules are crazy, I realize that I need time to stop, take a breath and just smile.  I need to block out the fussing kids in the car and roll down my window and just take in the beauty of the things around me. 


I pass this every day taking the kids to school.  There is a small house and a large pasture and field fence that surrounds it all.  It's not particularly appealing during fall and winter, but I love that in spring, the fence is overgrown with wild flowers okay, weeds) and honeysuckle.  Isn't it pretty?

Another thing that makes me smile is the cottonwood trees.  Have you ever seen a cottonwood tree?


This is a cottonwood tree.  See the little white fluff blowing up in the air?  Those are cottonwood seeds. 

This is a close view of a cottonwood tree branch.  See those white puffs?  Those are the seeds.  They blow in the wind like snow in summer.  I can walk out my front door and see them falling like snowfall all around me this time of year.  It looks just like snow on a 90 degree day.  I love that!

So, what about this time of year makes you smile?





Signature

10 comments:

  1. I like it when the tree leaf out and the clover has white headed flowers and the morning glory vine near the door takes over its corner on the building. It went from 35 degree days to 95 degree days within a week here in Louisville. - Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen one of those trees in forever! Brings back memories!

    I love opening windows, wearing flip-flops, sun shining down on you, and eating meals outside (if I can get Hubby to do it...he always says it's too hot!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the time of year when I certain pinks start blooming. I look for the pink.

    I have never seen a cottonwood tree, Tanya. I think that is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things making me smile this summer....oldest riding bike without training wheels, two potty trained (no more diapers!), two lovin the pool, and my garden is doing great so far.

    I've not seen a cottonwood tree or even heard of one, very cool. We do have white flowering crepe mrytles which gives the snow in summer affect too. I totally love it!

    Michelle
    A-Tisket A-Tasket

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great picture of the cottonwood tree. We don't have them here in FL.

    This may sound weird but I love the sound of crickets..the loud, long, buzzing sound when it's really hot out. It reminds me of Summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great picture- I've never seen a cottonwood tree before! I know what you mean about needing to slow it all down and appreciate what's around me. I love the shadows this time of the year makes- must be something about the sun's position that makes them extra interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think that we have Cottonwood trees around here. I've heard of them but after seeing your pictures don't think that I've seen one in person.

    I like to watch my flower beds change with the season. Right now is prime time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like sleeping in, sunshine on most days, long days (I'm dreading the longest day of the year because that means that the days are starting to get shorter again!), flowers...so many things to love about summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great attitude! Honestly- air conditioning makes me smile! Fall is my favorite too! I am NOT one for the heat at all. But- summer makes me smile because my boys come over more and we have cookouts etc.
    Have a PRETTY day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I'm not the only one whose kids are bickering?! ;) Good to know! I've enjoyed just sitting on the deck with a book while the girls play. :)

    ReplyDelete