Thursday, June 23, 2011

Unbelievable Deep Dish Cookie Pie

So, y'all that know me, know that I have a little tug of war going on inside.  You see, there is the big fat side of me who is desperately trying to be healthy and lose weight and then there is the other side of me - the one that has a slight obsession with chocolate - the one that has to have chocolate pretty much every day.  Well, my two sides have aligned.  You see, my sister found this blog, filled with low cal, healthier versions of dessert recipes, most of which include chocolate.  WOO HOO!  So, when I found this recipe, I was beyond thrilled and couldn't wait to try it.  So, what makes this pie "unbelievable"?  Read on and find out yourself.


Deep-Dish Cookie Pie

  • 2 cans white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) (500g) - WHAT?!?!? 
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 T canola oil
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a food processor. Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled pan (I used a 10-inch springform pan, but you can use a smaller pan if you want a really deep-dish pie.) Cook at 350F for around 35 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.


As usual, ignore the horrible picture.  It doesn't have to be pretty to taste good.  Garbanzo beans?  Seriously?  I ate several servings and I still can't believe it!



Signature

15 comments:

  1. Well, knock me over with a feather! I never would have thought to put garbanzo beans in a dessert recipe! I love recipes with unusual ingredients, and I know you have good taste, Tanya, so I'm going to make this next weekend when my kids finally start summer vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (deleted first post after I saw a bunch of goofy errors...should proof-read before submitting!)

    Anyway, I was saying that I have the same internal tug-of-war going on. I gave in and made chocolate chip peanut butter bars last night. I ate one and then regretted it. I am hoping to stay out of them today and just let my kids finish them.
    Not sure about this recipe...beans??? It really is good??? Might have to be brave and try it sometime.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really??! I am skeptical, but if you say it tastes good, it must be good!! :) How cool to find substitutes like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting! I need to try this! I made black bean brownies and no one knew the difference so this will be my next experiment. Good compromise with yourself one this one : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard that 'bean' cookies are good...and yours looks DELISH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh, it sounds really good but...beans? I mean they ARE the musical fruit eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm IN!! I have every one of those ingredients in the pantry and will be trying this on Monday, I think, when the girls get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garbanzo beans? Seriously?? I'll take your word on this because as a serious chocolate lover I know you'd never steer us wrong. Thanks for introducing me to a new blog, too. There are lots of recipes on it that I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, ditch the beans! This is too good for a veggie!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, this sounds interesting. I might just have to give it a try...
    Michelle A-Tisket A-Tasket

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's awesome! I too have that war going on! I'm continually amazed at our similarities! I'm excited to try this and hear more of your experiences with the websites recipes!

    I have a recipe for brownies made from black beans! And it is super delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you serious? And it was really good??

    I have a sweet tooth like you wouldn't believe. I'm always thinking "Now today I won't have any sweets" and I am always breaking that pledge to myself. So some recipes for sweets that really aren't too bad for me would be REALLY good for me to have!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are yoiu kidding me??!! That is crazy! But, I do not think you would steer me wrong with a chocolate pie recipe!!I have to try this!
    Have a PRETTY day!

    ReplyDelete