Monday, February 1, 2010

Rug Indecision - HELP!

There are some things in life that I am good at (surely, there is, right?), but there are LOTS of things I am not.  One of them is jewelry.  I'm terrible with jewelry.  The second is hanging things.  I'm terrible.  I have no confidence when in comes to hanging things.  My sweet sister-in-law knows to come hammer ready when she visits from Texas.  I always have something for her to help me hang.  She, on the other hand, is excellent at both jewelry and hanging.  The third thing I admit to not being good at, is rugs.  I'm just not good at it.  Mainly, because I am soooooo picky.  I tend to go for something kind of plain.  I love pattern and color, but it's just one of those weird picky things for me.  I have a hard time finding anything I like.  They're usually soooooo busy that it's just too much for my little brain to handle, so I just don't fall in love with rugs. 

Having said that, this is what I had in mind for the living room. 

Nothing fancy, just a sisal rug with a simple border, red like this is what I had in mind.  I looked at Target, NOTHING.  I looked at Wal-Mart and they were out of the red.  I found another rug I like and thought it was pretty.  It had all the colors from the living room and adjoining kitchen (which will soon be red....IF I ever find a good red)   AND, it was $79 as opposed to the $149 at 20% off Potttery Barn rug above.  HMMMM!  So, I did what my niece used to say, "Buy it and bring it home" (she was three at the time and was referring to a new toy or DVD, but it fits).  So, this is it in my living room. 

I think it's too close to the colors of the paisley loveseat, don't you?  Should I go back to my original idea of the sisal with the red border for more contrast?  -OR- should I start all over again?  HELP! 

Also, I am aware that I need to make some pillows, etc. for the couches.  I'm just trying to get the rug picked first and do a little at a time.  It's so........void of color in there, except for my gold walls.

5 comments:

  1. I love the pattern and colors of this rug, but since you asked, I would look for a rug with some pops of red in it. (Perhaps one with a similar pattern -- 'cause I think it's a better look for your style of furniture -- in browns, beiges, golds, and red? ) AND, most importantly, I'd look for a larger rug, at least 5x7. Now, I know what you're thinking . . . larger rug = more $$$, and you're right, BUT since you mentioned Craig's List in a previous post, I would encourage you to look there for a rug. (I'm the Queen of Cheap, and I've found some wonderful rugs there.) Don't limit your search for rugs by picking a particular catagory like "furniture" or "household." Instead, key in "rug" in the general "for sale" category. Also key in the most you want to pay for a rug (nothing worse than spotting a rug you love only to find that it's a zillion dollars!) , and be sure to check the "with image" box. Happy hunting!

    Grins!
    Pamm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colors, pattern too, but I'd hold out for the sisal. I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I think you should wait for the top one. I love it! I have been searching for a rug for my house for weeks...it's definitely hard to find the PERFECT rug! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I like the traditional look of the rug you brought home, and see how it brings the colors together, I noticed first what you mentioned about matching the loveseat a little too well. They almost compete with one another and don't blend all too well. I agree with the others to hold out for the sisal rug. I love the pop of color that would bring, and the texture would be fantastic!
    And while we are on the subject, I must admit that I am terrible with rugs as well. :s Right now we have a $25 remnant rug from Wal-Mart sitting under our dining room table. Wrong texture, wrong color, wrong size...wrong everything! But...until I find the perfect rug, it's staying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The masses, well, my four bloggy friends, have spoken. the rug went back to Wal-Mart yesterday. I need to save my pennies for the sisal.

    Thanks y'all!

    ReplyDelete