Monday, April 11, 2011

Autism in Entertainment

So, not much craftiness going on this weekend.  I got some fabric cut out and ready to sew and did about 17 loads of laundry.  That's about it. 

Since it's Autism Awareness month, I thought I would share a few of my favorite shows/movies about autism or autistic characters.  This is the trailer for my absolute favorite movie about autism.  It's called Miracle Run: The Unexpected Journey.  Zac Efron does an amazing job playing an autistic teen.  It's based on the true story of Phillip and Steven, twin brothers who have autism.  It does a great job showcasing their gifts as well as their struggles.



The next clip is for the movie Temple Grandin.  It's based on the true life struggles of Temple Grandin, a world renowned animal activist and inventor.  It does a very good job of showing how some autistic people think in pictures as well as talking about her sensory issues.  It's VERY good.




Moving on to television shows, my favorite would be Parenthood.  The Braverman's young son (age 9 or 10) has just found out that he has Asperger's Syndrome.  Max Burkholder does a great job of portraying a child with Asperger's (high functioning autism). 



It's funny how the more you learn about autism/Asperger's, the more you can spot the behavior in complete strangers and/or fictional characters.  If you've ever seen The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon Cooper, is one such character.  Although they never mention Asperger's, Sheldon's lacking social interaction skills along with his extreme OCD and genius mind suggest that he does, in fact, have Asperger's.  I wanted to share a clip, but couldn't get it to embed. 

I'm not sure if you are an American Idol fan, but I am.  This season, one of my favorite contestants is James Durbin.  He has Asperger's and Tourette's Syndrome.  Here is a clip.



I love him.  He is so talented.  Even if you don't enjoy hard rock, he voice is amazing.  There is something about hearing stories of people with autism and seeing their success, that gives this mama hope. 

Happy Monday!





Signature

8 comments:

  1. Morning Tanya!
    Whew...I just hopped off the treadmill and got a call from a realtor that wanted to show our house. It's been like Grand Central Station around here!

    I think it's so great that you're bringing attention to autism...it helps us all understand it so much better. Compassion and empathy go a long, long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for suggesting those movies. I will check them out. My oldest daughters boyfriend's twin sister (boy that is a mouthful) has Aspergers and she is an incredible girl. SO it is nice to have some shows that will help me understand better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Parenthood. It's my weekly (free) therapy. I can identify with so many of the characters and situations on that show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had seen that first one. I didn't recognize it by the title but by the trailer. The second one, I really want to see!

    My sister had seen a special about Temple Grandin and told me about it. I have to tell her that it was made into a movie.

    And I will definitely send this link to two people I know who need those movies if they haven't seen them.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love you!

    I watched and enjoyed all the clips! Now I want to see those movies!

    Also...ADORE James! He is one of my faves!

    I hope you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the show Parenthood. When they first found out, I loved how they threw in something about meeting with a nutritionist and going gluten free. Of course, I was quick to pick up on that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl--I love this post! Waiting at the hospital right now; just saying hello to a few of my favorite bloggers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. : ) Love you and that precious L!

    ReplyDelete