Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hanging Carrots for Easter

I have never been one of those people who decorates for every. single. holiday.  Why?  Well, my house needs a lot of "any season" decor, so I usually devote what little time I have to everyday crafty decor, not something that will only be out for a month or maybe two.  BUT, I have seen soooo many cute and crafty Easter things that I just couldn't help myself.  I have seen several versions of the big carrots hanging on the door.  I have seen them made out of orange napkins and out of knee highs.  I THOUGHT I had them bookmarked so I could give credit to those creative ladies, but apparently I lost them.  So, if they were your projects, let me know and I'll give you credit. 

Anyway, I knew I had to recreate this cute Easter craft, but I thought I would do mine in burlap.  So, I took down my slightly wilted burlap wreath I made last year and got started on my carrots. 



I bought my burlap at Wal-Mart for $2.67 a yard and didn't even use the whole yard.  I started by cutting a cone shape on the fold of my burlap - about 18" long. 



Then I pinned and sewed up the open side of the cone shape, stopping about 6" from the top of the cone. 




Then I turned them inside out and stuffed them with Poly-fil.  Also, I frayed the ends of the burlap by taking out some of the cross-threads.  Time to paint.


I gave them a rough coat of paint with a sponge.  I painted the top part, where the stitching stops, inside and out in green.  I love the rough look of the paint on burlap.  So shabby! 


I made a huge mess!

Then, I used an old hairband to bind the top of my carrot. 




I cut 1 1/2" - 2" strips at the top to fold down over the hairband to look like the leafty party. 




I wrapped a strip of burlap around and tied in a knot at the front. 



In the back, I made a loop of the same burlap and made a loop in the back for hanging.  I just wrapped wire twisty-tie to make the loop on the back.


and hung it up by the loop on my wreath hanger. 


So, what do you think?  I think it's pretty cute for about $2.

I'm linking this project at the following parties:  Easter Link Party @ Centsational Girl

Visit thecsiproject.com 





  SYS Thurs  HookingupwithHoH


 








Signature

22 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, that is soooo cute!!! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's one I haven't seen before! Very cute, Tanya! I love the painted burlap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I'm loving all of the carrot crafts that I've seen this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I love the carrot idea for decorating for Easter. I hear you we do not have a lot of decor for the Holidays because we need just general home decor:-) But I've got the kids and have been using their crafts to decorate for the Holidays and it works out great! I've even been so pleased with some items that I've tucked them away in our decoration boxes to use in following years.
    PS-made the tacquitos and they were delicious! Adding them to my permanent recipe collections!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a weakness for carrots! I love this one! I am highlighting this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya, these are absolutely adorable. Just darling! I don't really like to eat carrots, but I think they're very pretty vegetables. It was a great idea to make these out of burlap. I'd say this is VERY cute for $2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute, cute, cute!!!!
    You're so talented!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are awesome, Tanya! Great use of burlap. :) Love that you painted them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tanya, two dollars! That makes it all the better! These are adorable!! Gret job!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tanya! That is so freaking cute! I'm totally in love with it.

    And it is a sewing project that maybe even I could master! Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I nearly miss this? It's just adorable. I love that it's big so it really shows up on the door.

    Cute Cute Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so So SO cute!
    I love how they turned out!! I would have never thought to paint burlap - you just gave me TONS of ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable. Creative. Genius.

    I am having a spring craft linky party and giveaway on my blog this Friday. I would love for you to showcase this wonderful project.

    Details are on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The carrots are great, love them.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cute idea!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you hang carrots. It's super cute.

    ReplyDelete