Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Flappers

So, have I mentioned that Hubby and I are obsessed with Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives?  We loooove it! 



After almost every episode we say, "Oh, we need to try that recipe!"  Then we save it on our DVR and never get around to making said recipe.  A few weeks later, when we are down to 15 hours of recording time left on the DVR, we freak out, erase half of our saved stuff and then the cycle starts all over again.  BUT, occasionally, we immediately get on the computer to search for the recipe or get out a pen and paper and start writing down ingredients while watching the show.  This recipe is from one such Tripe D episode. 

The episode featured a little cafe in Minneapolis called the Colossal Cafe.  The owner and chef made what she called "Flappers", which are yeast based pancakes.  Well, pancakes are like my second favorite breakfast, trailing only slightly behind cinammon rolls, so I knew I had to try it.  On Triple D, they just name the ingredients as they toss them in the bowl and don't give measurements, so unless you're a really good guesser or estimator (I'm NOT), then you have to look up a similar recipe.  So, I found the following recipe online at Cooks.com.


BLINNA (YEAST PANCAKES)


1 1/2 cups warm milk (105-115°F)

2 tablespoons sugar

1 pkg. active dry yeast

2 eggs, beaten

2 1/4 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter, melted



Combine milk, sugar and yeast. Stir until yeast is dissolved. Set aside for several minutes, until foamy.

Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. Let rise for 15 minutes or until puffy.

Brush a non-stick griddle or smooth black cast iron pan that is well seasoned with butter and heat until a droplet of water dances and sizzles on the surface.

Pour a small circle of batter onto the hot pan; cook until pancake forms tiny bubbles near the edges. Flip and bake the other side for a little less time than it took to bake the first side - until the top sets and the pancake is cooked through.

Stack on a warm plate and keep warm in 225°F oven or serve right away with butter and syrup or jam.

Note: If you're not in a hurry for the pancakes to rise, use half the amount of yeast; the pancakes will still rise but it will take a longer time.


Well, the topping (compote) she used on Triple D sounded pretty amazing too.  I just listened to the ingredients and guessed at the amounts, but it turned out to be REALLY good. 

1 cup brown sugar
1 apple, peel and cut into wedges
3/4 cup syrup
2 Tbsp honey
Dash of cinammon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
brie wedges

In a pan, put brown sugar, apple wedges, syrup, cinammon and honey and stir on medium heat until apple slightly cook (about 5 minutes). 



Add walnuts and stir until combined. 



Pour over pancakes and garnish with slices of brie. 



Okay, so if I was a professional chef, or photographer or even food stager, I would have made it look prettier and wiped off the big drop of sauce at the bottom of the photo, but oh well!  This is how it would look if you ate it at my house.

So, I'll admit that I've only actually eaten brie once before this.  Alone, I think it tastes the way old lady musty roses smell. Do you know that smell?  Like an old house (like 100 years old) that an old lady lives in, she apparently grows roses and they got really soggy and musty and smelled up her house.  Do y'all know that smell?  My Hubby thinks I'm NUTS, but it's the smell I remember from my Great Aunt's house when we went over there once and she was like 100 or so years old and lived in the country.  Ah, forget it.  Anyway, that's what brie tastes like to me if I eat it alone, but on this, it's really quite good.  I was pleasantly surprised.

So, there ya go.  Hope y'all enjoy it as much as we did.  Just ignore the brie rant.  It's really late.





Note: You may need to adjust the consistency of the pancake batter. Batter thickens as it stands. Add a few tablespoons of milk if batter is too thick; add a few tablespoons of flour if batter is too thin.










Signature

27 comments:

  1. I like that show too! All those cool recipes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Love this recipe thanks for posting on Triple D
      Marlo from CT.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for posting this recipe,i cant wait to try it!

      Delete
  2. We love watching Triple D here in this house! The recipe we are dying to try that we saw on that show is Cheeseburger Soup. Haven't made it yet. Can't find the exact recipe online but have found others so I will give it a try soon.

    As for your pancake recipe, it sounds really good and the topping looks amazingly yummy! Not so sure about the brie though. And yes, I do know that smell. It's icky. I don't like the smell of roses whether they are fresh or old, soggy & musty. Your description was funny :)

    Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm going to save this one to try. I don't remember if I saw the episode it was featured on.

    Have a great day. Guessing the storms moved out of your area. They came through here during the night. Pounding rain, thunder, crazy wind. Now the sun is out and it is a pretty day :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's interesting! I don't know if we've seen that one. You're smart for writing it down when you watch. My husband always decides on a random day that one of the foods on an episode sounds fun and then we spend so long trying to remember which episode it was and trying to Google it. Still need to buy him that recipe book! Maybe Father's Day as a pre-Father gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, that topping sounds yummy! I wouldn't have thought to put brie on this but I bet it is really good combo. We've watched this before and have been on our food network obsession kicks over the years. Currently though we've been hooked on Pawn Stars and DC Cupcakes, LOL! I'm making your Chicken tacquitos tonight! Wish me luck. I'm modifying it a bit based on some things I have on hand so I hope it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was sounding really good, but you really got me with the brie! I'm actually not sure I would put it on the pancakes, but I love brie. Mmmmmm, so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, yes, I think I know the smell. You're too just too much fun! I actually love the taste of brie all by itself, but I'm not picky and will eat nearly anything.

    That said, I would REALLY love your flappers with that compote you fixed for the top. Oh.. just yum...

    And I think it's so neat that you and hubby watch that together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no hope of ever wearing a bathing suit again if I keep reading your recipes. ;) ;) YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you hold it against me if I told you that I don't like pancakes? They are like my LEAST favorite breakfast food.

    Maybe I just need to try the right recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this. It's on my list to make too. I think that she added a splash of brandy in the pancake mix. -

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had the walnut, apple, brie flappers at the Colossal last Saturday while visiting the Cities. Absolutely delicious and will try your receipe tomorrow morning. The Colossal cuts their apple pieces much smaller than what you did. Theirs were more like diced than sliced.
    If you ever get there, try the Breakfast BLT. Its a blt with an egg in it on HomeMade bread. The bread is to die for.
    Anyone that visits the Twin Cities is crazy if they don't make a trip to the Colossal.

    Nancy
    Townsend, MT
    (still on vacation!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pancake mix in the fridge ready for breakfast tomorrow (I live in the UK if you wondering about the time?!?!?!??!?)

    I really enjoy triple D but only just seen the 'flapper' show.

    That show ALWAYS make's me hungry and its not shown until 10pm over here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the recipe...i saved the same show then googled ddd for the recipe, but couldn't find it. i'm anxious to try the pancakes they looked so good.
    bill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the recipe. Did I see the Colassal chef put brandy in the better? Randy

    ReplyDelete
  14. This actual recipe by Chef Bess can be found in Vol.1 of the Cookbook at gatewayguest.com, website for the B&B the Bess opened in Austin after she left MINN. RANDY

    ReplyDelete
  15. Omg! I just want thank you for the post! From the moment the episode aired I wanted to make these pancakes but I didn't catch the ingredients. I made these for breakfast and they were a HIT! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Torria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just bought Vol. 1 & 2 gateway guesthouse cookbooks & was disappointed to see the flapper recipe in the cookbook lists cognac instead of apple brandy used on DD&Ds, & even more disappointing is the maple syrup that was used in the apple mixture on the DD&Ds episode, is not mentioned at all in the cookbook. If maple syrup is not used, the apple mixture in the cookbook will have a completely different flavor.
    All in all, a total bummer as the impression was made when ordering the books, that the orginal recipes would be included.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these - they have become our go-to Saturday morning breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these - they have become our go-to Saturday morning breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great recipe(s)...thanks for taking the time. You may have a shot a photo journalism if you ever get bored with your day job! :)

    Tank you for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are a lot of different was to make name badges: this is just one example.
    If you carefully read all of the directions on the package, you can
    freeze off your skin tags without feeling any pain and they'll be quickly eliminated. Click OK and wait a second or two for the effect to be applied.

    Check out my web-site skin tags on dogs Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for flappers recipe, I seen the show and was searching for the recipe. Its memorable because of the yeast--they were soooo thick

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi
    How many flappers does the batter mixture make?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know this post is old but the recipe can be found here:
    https://dancingpoly.com/index.php/articles-recipes/recipes/world-famous-flappers

    ReplyDelete