Monday, May 9, 2011

New Used Playset and Mother's Day Weekend

My oldest, who is now 13, got a swingset for her 3rd birthday.  That metal swingset was a gift from my parents.  It was in the backyard at our old house and was then moved to this house eight years ago.  The kids have loved it, but it was a little small for four kids.  They constantly fought over whose turn it was to swing.  Everytime we got to the local hardware store, they begged for a bigger swingset.  We had our eye on this one.


This swingset is fabulous, but at $1,600 it was a bit out of our budget.  So, when Hubby heard a friend at work had a swingset to get rid of, we went to look at it.  This friend is a builder and designed it himself.  We bought it for $350 and enlisted the help of my dad (a former builder) and my brother to help Hubby haul it to our house and put it back together.  This is how it looks in our yard.


You can't see it, but there are monkey bars and a slide on the backside, and a climbing wall on the left.  This is how it looks from my porch.  And here is the seperate swingset.



It took the guys about 11 hours to disassemble, transport and reassemble everything.  They did a fabulous job.  There isn't much room left in my yard, but it's worth it if it keeps the kids busy and happy.  And the $350 was whole lot better than $1,600.  Now, we just need to restain it.

We also decided to have our Mother's Day celebration for lunch that day since the entire family was here.  We had BBQ Pork Sandwiches for lunch and celebrated my awesome mom.


It was a great Mother's Day weekend.  What about you?  Did you have a good weekend?


Signature

11 comments:

  1. That swing set looks great! I've been watching for a used one too and it does seem that you almost seem to need to know someone who's getting rid of one to get the really good ones at a fair price. They must go really fast, as I've yet to happen upon one just browsing for them online. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They'll have fun with that new swingset! We inherited a similar one with one of our houses, and we took it with us to several other houses. It got quite a bit of use. Then the last time we moved, while it was sitting behind the house in kind of a common area, before we had a chance to set it up, somebody hacked it up! (This is not a bad neighborhood; I'm sure it was probably some bored teens.) Anyway, we had to toss it. We were not happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope oyu had a great Mother's Day! Great bargain on the swingset! When I was a kid, that was one of my favorite things. I begged my parents never to throw it away and I think they kept it up until I was in high school! I saved a swing for memories : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great play set- kids always love a climbing wall and a wobbly bridge and it's fantastic that you have the space for a separate swing set! I hope your kids have hours of safe, co-operative playtime outdoors this summer ;) Our playset is 12 years old now and I think we can squeeze one more year out of it!

    You and your mom look so sweet together. I LOVE her glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow they did a great job taking it apart and putting it together that fast. I agree those are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome swingset!!! It'll be the envy of the neighbors, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That swingset looks super snazzy! The kids will have a ball on it...and it just might keep you from losing your sanity on those long summer days when everyone says, "I'm BORED!" What a sweet picture of you and your mom...cherish the moments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the new(used) swingset!
    And the picture of you and your mom is so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't believe you got that whole thing for $350.00. That's an awesome score!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome!!!
    You and your Mom are adorable! And PRETTY!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great deal on the swingset. I know the kids will more than get your money's worth out of it. How fun for the whole family!

    And, great work from all those guys!

    ReplyDelete