Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Removing Cooked on Food Messes From Your Crock Pot

Because it's crazy here in the FFB house, I tend to use my crock pot quite a bit.  I love just throwing a bunch of stuff in the crock pot and coming home to a meal ready to go. 

BUT, what I hate about using the crock pot is the clean up.  I know it's only one big ole pot to clean, but every great once in awhile, it leaves a huge crusty mess in there for me to clean up.  I HATE having to scrub my crock pot to get it clean.  Hate it!  Luckily, I have a little trick to make it easier. 

After making Chili Lime Tostadas last week, my crock pot was a MESS!  It seems I didn't put enough lime juice in to make up for the fact that I had it cranked up on High all day.  The chicken was fine, but it left a big dry crusty mess in there.  Oops!  So, after removing our dinner, I added enough water to rise above the crusty stains on the side.  I added a squirt of dishwashing liquid and cranked it back up on high for about an hour. 



I let it cool back down and dumped out the water and most of the crusty yuck.  I added a little water and more dishwashing liquid and the stains came right off.  No SOS pad and sore arms from scrubbing.  WOO HOO!  This also works great on pots and pans.  Just bring them to a boil on the stove top. 

I'm linking this post to Holly's Tips and Tricks Party











Signature

9 comments:

  1. Good idea! I know they also sell those liners you can put in there. I bought some, but I haven't tried them out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to try this! I can't stand how hard it is to get eggs off my stainless steel pans, you think it would work on those???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya, this is an awesome tip! I've never tried the liners because I'm a little leary of cooking in plastic. I'll try this next time my crockpot is crusty.
    So glad you joined the party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have thought to do that! You get a rousing BRAVO from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That IS a great tip!! Thanks for sharing. :) I need to use my crock pot more often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip an I used to do something similar with my really old Rival but now I have one with the ceramic thing that I can take out and wash. Also I do use the Reynolds's Slow Cooker bags and the are wonderful. I still wash the ceramic thing as even with the liners there's a little sweat that gets in there and would make a cooked on film if I didn't

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great tip! I am right there with you in the "hate to wash them" corner.

    I actually hate to wash all pots and pans. Blech. That's one of the reason that I praise my husband for his wonderful grilling. Wink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genius! I love using my crock pot, too- it always makes the house smell homey and good! Thanks for the tip- do have more you can share with us?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, let me just say, I love you more than ever, and you are my new best friend!

    The crusty crock pot mess is something I LOATHE cleaning as well!

    Now I want to cook up something messy just to try this tip out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete