Wednesday, March 31, 2010

MOD PODGE UTENSIL HOLDER

Since I have painted my kitchen red and am slowly replacing everything that used to be red, white and blue, I needed something to keep my utensils in - ya know all the BIG stuff that won't fit in your normal size drawers.  My kitchen is WAAAAY to small for all of my crap.  Okay, so if I'd get rid of the junk in the junk drawer and maybe get rid of the taco sauce, parmesan, ketchup packets etc. from all the take out, maybe I would have room for the big stuff, but let's get real...it's not gonna happen anytime soon. 

The black utensil holder container thingee that I want at Target is $14, which isn't bad, but I really want the paper towel holder too, which is $17 and I just can't let go of that money because I keep thinking it'll go on sale eventually.  So, in the meantime, I've been using a large glass container that used to house snacks.  The problem is, it's just a big ole container and it's kind of plain.  I've been thinking about using chalkboard paint on it, but decided to give this a try instead. 

First, I found a label at The Graphics Fairy and added the word utensils.  Then I printed it off on plain copy paper. 



Then, I took my trusty ole Burnt Amber craft paint, watered it down and antiqued the plain white paper a bit.  I dried it with a hair dryer and cut it in an oval shape.




Then, I just used my trusty Modge Podge to adhere it to my glass container. 



I'm thinking that I should've made it a little smaller.  Maybe I'll redo it.  I don't know yet.  I'll live with it for awhile. 

I'm linking up with Xazmin at This Is The Year for Modge Podge Mania.

6 comments:

  1. So cute! I always see those big clear canister things at Walmart and Hobby Lobby and think about getting one or two. I love the way it looks vintage with the label. May have to get me one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea, love it!!! Love the vintage label. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I have been meaning to MP a utensil container also...just don't seem to get around to it! Maybe that will be my project for next month!!!

    Thanks for the link to the graphics website too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Love the graphics -

    ReplyDelete