Friday, March 19, 2010

WINDOW TREATMENTS ARE FOR HIDING DIRTY WINDOWS, RIGHT?

A few weeks ago, I purchased some drapery weight fabric from Hobby Lobby.  I wanted to make a roman shade, but soon realized how much work, not to mention tools, were involved.  I just wasn't sure what to do.  I love the look of a roman shade, but I've never made window treatments before.  I usually stick to clothes when it comes to sewing.  I knew I could make panels, etc, but the hardware involved in making a roman shade was going to cost a small fortune plus shipping (I couldn't find anything locally) and quite frankly I knew I would get bored, frustrated and distracted WAY too easily.  I swear I have adult ADD.  That's why I don't quilt.  I stick to clothes because I love that I can finish a whole project in a hours or days, not weeks or months. 

Anyway, I was at my wits end, riddled with indecision, when I came across this tutorial at Thrifty Decor Chick.  I liked the look and that it could be raised or lowered, so I got to work.  This is how it turned out.


(Please excuse my NASTY windows.  Hubby power washed the porch not long ago and got the window all yucky and I have been too lazy busy to clean it.  That's what window treatments are for, right?  To hide the grimey windows?)

YEA!  You have to understand that until yesterday, I've NEVER had a window treatment in the kitchen.  NEVER!  I could never find anything that I like that wasn't terribly expensive and I just couldn't see spending a lot of money to cover a window when I needed/wanted so many other things (like food, clothing, medicine, insurance, etc.).  YEA!!!  I can hardly contain my excitement.  I feel like a grown up. 

this fabric is regularly $15.00 a yard at Hobby Lobby and I bought it for 30% off.  I used a tension rod I bought at Wal-mart for less than $3.00.  Everything else, I already had.  Grand total for this window treatment:  about $14.00 plus tax.  WOW!!!  YEA!!!!

I'm linking up withFrugalicious Friday, and Fingerprints on the Fridge and Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap-Up and Someday Crafts.

11 comments:

  1. Window treatments are very important in kitchens as too much direct sunlight can make a kitchen hot and unpleasant to work in. It's good you finally put one up. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! It looks fabulous! I've looked at Sarah's tutorial before and bookmarked it for when I'm ready to try with my own windows. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! That looks great! Makes me want to try now....uh, maybe not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabric.....looks terrific!!!!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Window treatments are one of my weak areas! I don't like to spend a lot of money on them, but I'm not confident enough to try to create them on my own. Learning is on my "to do" list! You did a great job. It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude! That looks awesome! You should go into business making those! Everybody wants them, but nobody wants to put in the work.... (erm....like me...lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this look! I need some valance updates too...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks FAB! They work SO well with heavy fabric - this looks professional!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a very similar sized window in our kitchen that has plantation blinds, but not drapes or any other type of fabric. I'd always considered it "finished"-- until I saw your creation!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! It makes such a statement. Wonderful job!

    Thanks for linking up to my party!!!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete