Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Show Me The Progress Party

This has been a crazy week for me because I have had a sick baby this week, but I had to post my progress for Amanda's Show Me The Progress Party.  I haven't made a lot of progress, but I have made a little.  This is my before picture.  You can see the original post here. 



My problem was the space on top of my cabinets.  There is only about 12" of space up there so not much room for display not to mention I didn't know what to display.  I talked about losing the whole red, white and blue theme. 

This is the progress so far. 



I FINALLY got my kitchen painted red.  I've been living with red splotches on my wall for over a year trying to find the right color and I finally found it!  YEA!!!!  It's Sherwin Williams Stolen Kiss, if anyone is wondering.  Other things have improved since this picture was taken.

1.  My fridge is cleaned off.  My Hubby nearly thought I had bought a new fridge since he couldn't remember what it looked like.

2.  I bought some GREAT fabric which you can see here.  I plan on making a faux roman shade for the kitchen window.....someday. 

3.  I'm planning on getting new canisters, but I'm torn on what kind.  I'm loving plain old clear glass.  I'm torn on whether to get fancy toppers with a fleur dis lis or something with a silver top and maybe the cute chalkboard labels with Flour, Sugar, Tea, etc. written on them. 

4.  You can't tell so much in the before photo, but my cabinets were COVERED with junk mail, small appliances, etc.  I got a new piece of furniture for my adjoining dining room that stores my junk so my countertops are much cleaner.  YEA!  

5.  As for the space on the top of the cabinets.......I'm still torn.  Cherish gave me a great link for painted plates, which I LOVE.  I bought some plates and paint, but I haven't had time to get to them yet.

I haven't made much progress yet, but considering it took me FOREVER to paint, it may take awhile to do this too.   

Okay.  I'm off to check on my sick baby.  Y'all don't party to hard without me.

14 comments:

  1. I love your new paint color. Congratulations on finishing that project. I think that the tops of your cabinets look great w/o the accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Paula. With that FABULOUS red up there, you don't need other stuff. Stolen kiss- what a great name for a paint color!

    Don'tcha just love getting some space cleared? Getting rid of the visual clutter can make such a big difference! That is an awesome start.

    I hope the baby feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just clearing a space does so much to a room!! And that red color is awesome!! Well done!
    Great party post!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful RED!! The plate idea has merit, but, I wouldn't put too much up there. I wouldn't want to block all that gorgeous red.

    Congratulations on progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that paint color really makes a statement! Don't worry too much about finding things to put above the cabinets... it's looking great already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to agree with everyone else...the red looks great and you don't need to stress about accessories for up there unless you find something you love. :)

    Hope the baby is well soon! :(

    Thanks for linking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Painting and decluttering is major progress in my book! Lookin' good :)
    Hope your little one is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed that you were able to participate in today's "progress" party-- I told Amanda that I hadn't made ANY progress, and hadn't even decided on a course of action for my bedroom. It's still as sorry as ever. I love your paint choice, and how clean and uncluttered the space looks!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. the white cabinets really pop against the red color, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes getting rid of stuff makes the biggest impact! I love the wall color and I think clearing the items from the top of the cabinets looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am also loving the cabinets w/o the accessories! & it is amazing what cleaning off the fridge can do! I almost went into a pleasant shock when I cleaned off ours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great paint color - lots of WOW factor!!
    I love white cabinets, but your's seem alittle 'stark' to me. How about adding some knobs or pulls to them? I think that would help to break up all the white. Hope you're not offended :) You've got a great thing going here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks y'all for all the suggestions and support. I'm with Andrea though. It's a little stark, although I do intend to add knobs when I find a good deal on the ones I want (and no, I am not at all offended). I think it's been cluttered with stuff for so long, that it just looks.....empty to me. I am just so happy that it's finally red and not taupe with large reddish/pink splotches.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you've made GREAT progress...and I've told you before...I LOVE the red!

    You have a great kitchen...I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete