Sunday, March 7, 2010

NEW SCARF TUTORIAL

I consider myself a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl.  I don't dress up very often (because I don't get out much).  I always go for comfortable cute over 4 inch heels.  As I have said before, I am a big ole dork and falling is inevitible when I wear heels while I'm trying to chase kids around.  So, I prefer jeans and t-shirts.  I totally love the current scarf trend to dress up my jeans and t-shirts.  So, I thought I would try my hand at making a scarf.  I can't knit or crochet, but I can sew. 

This is my beloved Tina Givens fabric that I have been hoarding for several months.  I LOVE it!  It's if the most beautiful shade of purple.  I hate that the color doesn't show true in these photos.  Anyway, I bought it to make something for my daughter for fall, but couldn't decide which pattern to go with and time got away from me so it's been sitting waiting for inspiration to hit me.  I had two yards so I decided to use a yards for myself.  I never make anything for myself.  So, I decided I would just this once.  I seriously almost cried when I cut my fabric.  I love it that much.

I started by ironing my fabric (it was also prewashed) and then I cute it into four strips of 42" (full fabric width) by 7" using my beloved rotary cutter (it makes my life so much easier).




Then I pinned the short ends of two strips, right sides together and sewed them using a 1/2" seam.  Then press your seams out.  Do this on twice so you have two very long strips. 



Now, pin both long strips, right sides together.  Leave one short end open and fold downr 1/2" and iron.  Sew using a 1/4" seam, but leaving the short end you ironed open.  Basically, it'll look like a really long, skinny pillowcase. 



Now, trim around the corners and turn inside out.  Iron your scarf flat and fold the open side in and pin.  Top stitch all the way around the scarf as close to the edge as possible (about 1/8").  Trim your threads and you're all done!



Sorry about the picture.  I didn't have much makeup on and my hair, well, EEWW!  Sorry the bottom got cut off.  This is what happens when you ask your husband to take a picture of you in your new scarf while he's busy watching people beat eachother up (also known as boxing). 

This is my first tutorial so please forgive me if this is hard to understand.  Feel free to contact me if I completely confused you!

I'm linking up with It's So Very Cheri, Making the World Cuter, Skip to My Lou, and The Girl Creative and


7 comments:

  1. Really cute! I don't wear accessories very well, but a cute scarf really adds something!

    Just to let you know, I have a button available now for blogs I have featured. You can get the code on my sidebar if you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did great! I love the fabric you used. :)

    Quick reminder: I hope you'll link up to the "Show Me the Progress" party this week. It goes live Tuesday night and will be up all day Wednesday. :) Just about ANYTHING counts as progress (even a list of ideas!), and it doesn't have to be about a Decorating Dilemma. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that is just SMART! I can't believe I never thought of making my own scarf....and I've been wanting one, too! Thanks for sharing this, and thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so so so cute I am excited to poke around and see what else you have been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! You are so talented and creative. I love wearing scarfs (scarves?); I think they're the perfect accessory-- cute AND functional!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weird, my first comment didn't work. Whatever. I just said how I LOVE your scarf, and how even thought I'm jealous and stuff cuz I can't sew...I still like you!!

    I like jeans WITH high heels!

    ReplyDelete